With my game reviews I’ve found and added to a rubric. There are 7 criteria that I will be looking at with 5 points in each section. So, a perfect game would need a score of 35. Hopefully, this will help me gauge my opinion of the game being reviewed.
- How good the game looks compared to similar products on the same systems.
- Do the effects add to or distract from the game?
- How interesting is the plot?
- Does it draw the player in?
- Does the story ever drag?
- Does it seem to abrupt?
- Looking for originality and fun.
- This is what the player actually does. (This one I don’t understand.)
- How the UI interacts with the game.
- Is it intuitive or counter-intuitive?
- Do the controls interfere with the user experience?
- Lack of repetition.
- Does it properly set the mood or tone.
- Simply, will the user want to play it again.
- Looking here at lack of bugs.
- Also, does the game seem complete without DLC or does the DLC offered add features that seem necessary to the base game?
- Here we’re looking at whether the game has broken new ground?
- A sequel could conceivably be a 10 here, but it would have to add significantly to the original.
- I’m also considering how unlike the game is compared to anything else out there on the same systems. A good score here generally indicates there is not a game like it on that system.